The Ridge Trail is Now BARTable!
As of June 13, 2020 the Ridge Trail connects from Berryessa BART to the protected open spaces along the ridgelines overlooking San José! This continuous Ridge Trail connection goes from the BART station along Penitencia Creek Trail through Alum Rock Park to the sweeping views and serpentine landscape of Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve, with planned trail connections north to Ed Levin County Park and south to Joseph D. Grant County Park.
In 2017, Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority granted the Ridge Trail their Urban Open Space funding to bring people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds to their surrounding trails and parks. With an estimated daily ridership of 12,000 and nearly 30,000 residents within a ½ mile radius, this project has the potential to reach hundreds of thousands of people each year.
The project includes the following elements, which will be developed in coordination with the VTA and the City of San Jose’s Trail Program:
- Directional and wayfinding signs in and around the Berryessa BART station, leading people to local parks and beyond to the ridge via the Ridge Trail.
- Interpretive panels that include an overview map, highlighting the benefits of trails and active transportation.
- Guided outings in English and Spanish (virtual outings planned due to COVID-19).
- Brochures in English and Spanish.*
* According to the Santa Clara Valley OSA’s “Understanding Our Community” report, the percentage of Spanish speakers in this area may be as high as 71%.
Additional Funding Need:
An additional $30,000 would allow us to translate our brochure into different languages, create downloadable content and lead guided outings in languages representative of the populations in San José. For more information contact Liz Westbrook at LizWestbrook@ridgetrail.org.
Ridge Trail Berryessa BART Brochure and Map
Ridge Trail Berryessa BART Folleto y Mapa
Ridge Trail Berryessa BART Brochure và bản đồ
Penitencia Creek Trail Map
Alum Rock Park and Sierra Vista Open Space Trail Map
Penitencia Creek Bridges Scavenger Hunt