In the San Francisco Bay Area, we have some of the most visible LGBTQIA+ Pride celebrations in the nation! Wherever you are on this spectrum — deeply involved with the LGBTQIA+ community to curious about the acronym — below are a few resources to further explore issues that impact LGBTQIA+ people and ways to support Pride celebrations, during June and all year round!
- Hike the Ridge Trail to Twin Peaks to view the 26th annual Pink Triangle installation, thru July 1st.
- Check this SF Chronicle Datebook page for Pride celebration events around the Bay; and read their article “San Francisco Pride Parade 2022: What to know about city’s signature LGBTQ celebration”.
- With events held in June, the SF Pride Parade and Oakland Black Pride websites have additional ways to support, celebrate, donate, and join community events.
- Keep the celebration going with Silicon Valley Pride in August and the Oakland Pride Parade in September, 2022!
LGBTQIA+ Educational Resources
- Watch this 2 minute video “Why Pronouns Matter for Trans People”; read about what pronouns are and why they matter.
- Pick up a good book from the Oakland Library’s LGBTQ+ Picks for Oakland Pride or SF Library’s LGBTQIA Staff Picks lists.
- Find a new favorite podcast in this blog: “12 LGBTQ Podcasts You Should Be Listening To”
LGBTQIA+ and the Outdoors
- Read: “These proud LGBTQ adventurers are putting the ‘out’ in outdoors”
- Read: “Pride Month, LGBTQ+ And The Environmental Movement”
- Read: “7 LGBTQ Environmental Activists to Celebrate Every Day Of the Year”
- Check out the Unlikely Hikers community and influencer Pattie Gonia on Instagram.
- Learn more about these local LGBTQ+ non-profits that offer youth outdoor programming (Out There Adventures), surfing lessons (QueerSurf), and work on outdoor service projects (Gay for Good – SF Chapter), or these national LGBTQ+ outdoor nonprofits.
In Honor of Caribbean-American Heritage Month & Juneteenth
- Check this SF Chronicle Datebook page for Juneteenth celebration events around the Bay.
- Listen to this 13 minute Making Gay History podcast or read about Sylvia Rivera, a transgender activist who identified as Afro-Taíno.
- Read CNN’s article: “7 black LGBTQ leaders in honor of Juneteenth and Pride month”
- Watch this video of the NAACP’s President and CEO talk about Juneteenth becoming a federal holiday in 2021
- Read this NatGeo article on Juneteenth and what it celebrates.